Directed Research or Directed Study means that you earn credit by working in a lab or field setting under a faculty member’s guidance.
Before Your Register for Directed Research/Study:
- Talk to your advisor and instructor regarding how directed research/study works in your college/major.
- Talk to your instructor about the details of your directed research/study projects will be structured.
- Fill out the Directed Activity Contract. To fill out the contract, you will need:
- Instructor’s UMN Internet ID (the first part of their email)
- Year and term of the project
- Course subject, number, and possibly the section number
- Number of credits
- Grading basis
- The title and description of your project
- A description of methods, resources, and strategies you may use
For more information on the University policy, visit Directed Study, Directed Readings, and Directed Research Courses.