Scholarships and Supplies Funding
Students interested in engaging in a research project should contact the faculty member directly. UROP provides a research scholarship of up to $1,500 and supplies funding up to $300, on a competitive basis, each semester and summer.
Any undergraduate student registered for at least 6 credits at the University of Minnesota in good academic standing is eligible to apply for UROP funding. All projects must be conducted under the mentorship of a U of M faculty member. A student may not simultaneously receive academic credit and a UROP stipend award for their research.
Types of Funding
There are two parts of UROP Award Funding:
Up to $1,500 for 120 hours of research
Up to $300; a detailed list must be given on the UROP application to account for cost of supplies requested.
Projects/Expenses NOT Funded
- Websites: The creation of websites because it does not constitute research under the UROP Guidelines.
- Paid training: UROP does not typically fund individual training or course/conference work as preparation for a UROP project.
- Research for College Credit: If you are interested in doing research for credit, consider Directed Research/Study.
- Local Travel: UROP will not cover any travel under 50 miles one way.
- Purchase of computer hardware/devices
- Hiring of employees: UROP will fund compensation of human subjects, but no other payments to research assistants/interns/employees/etc.