Prospective freshman at the University of Minnesota, notified as part of your award package. Students are chosen based on academic merit and demonstrated an interest in research. A student may not simultaneously receive academic credit or a UROP stipend award for their URS research. However, once the URS project is complete, students are eligible and encouraged to apply for a UROP scholarship or other research opportunities.
Your URS provides a research scholarship of $1400 for 120 hours of research and supplies funding up to $300. Funds are deposited into your student account. Find out how to set up direct deposit here https://onestop.umn.edu/finances/direct-deposit
To receive expense money up to $300, a detailed list must be given on the UROP application to account for the cost of supplies requested.
Projects/Expenses NOT Funded
- Websites: The creation of websites because it does not constitute research under the UROP Guidelines.
- Paid training: UROP does not typically fund individual training or course/conference work as preparation for a UROP project.
- Research for College Credit: If you are interested in doing research for credit, consider Directed Research/Study.
- Local Travel: UROP will not cover any travel under 50 miles one way.
- Purchase of computer hardware/devices
- Hiring of employees: UROP will fund compensation of human subjects, but no other payments to research assistants/interns/employees/etc.
All URS expenses are handled through your faculty mentor's department. The accounting team receives a copy of your approved expenses. Your award letter lists the contact person in the department, any disbursement questions should be directed to them.