Types of Funding
There are two parts of UROP Award Funding:
UROP Scholarship Stipend
Up to $1,500 for 120 hours of research; paid through financial aid; the first $750 will be awarded at the beginning of your project and the final $750 will be awarded once all four ending requirements are met. Because the stipends are paid through financial aid, you must be able to accommodate the payments in your academic year financial aid package. If you have total cost of attendance already covered, a UROP scholarship might reduce a loan or other scholarships.
Up to $300; a detailed list must be given on the UROP application to account for cost of supplies requested.
Projects/Expenses NOT Funded
- Websites: The creation of websites because it does not constitute research under the UROP Guidelines.
- Paid training: UROP does not typically fund individual training or course/conference work as preparation for a UROP project.
- Research for College Credit: If you are interested in doing research for credit, consider Directed Research/Study.
- Local Travel: UROP will not cover any travel under 50 miles one way.
- Purchase of computer hardware/devices
- Hiring of employees: UROP will fund compensation of human subjects, but no other payments to research assistants/interns/employees/etc.
All UROP expenses are handled through your faculty mentor's department. The accounting team receives a copy of your approved expenses. Your award letter lists the contact person in the department, and any disbursement questions should be directed to them.