Design your own project. Work one-on-one with a faculty member to make it happen.
You can earn credit by working in a lab or field setting under a faculty member’s guidance. Before starting your research, find out how earning credits for the project may fit into your program of study. Speak with your advisor and instructor about registering for a directed research or directed study course.
Register for a directed research or study course
To earn credit for a directed research or study project, talk with the faculty member and then fill out a Directed Activity Contract online. The contract is an agreement between you and your instructor. It will help you to establish expectations, credits, and the grading basis for your work.
Complete the contract before you register. You must be an active undergraduate or nondegree student to use the form.
You will need to complete a contract for each semester you plan to do a research project for credit (per University policy). For a project that lasts multiple semesters with the same mentor, you will need to renew your contract by submitting a new one each term.
How to complete a Directed Activity Contract
1. Submit a Directed Activity Contract. Do this after you talk with your instructor about your project. To fill out the contract, you will need:
Instructor’s UMN Internet ID (the first part of their email)
Year and term of the project
Course subject, number, and possibly the section number
Number of credits
The title and description of your project
A description of methods, resources, and strategies you may use
2. After you submit the form, wait for the next steps via email.
There are 3 stages of review after you submit it: your instructor, an academic approver, and a final approver. They will each be automatically prompted to review the contract when it is their turn. You should respond quickly to any emails you receive about your contract.
3. Lastly, you will receive a confirmation email when the contract is approved. You should register for the directed activity class as soon as possible using the permission number in your confirmation email. If needed, learn how to enter a permission number.
Ask your academic advisor or contact your department to find out how to participate in directed research.
- CLA DIRECTED STUDY
- CBS DIRECTED RESEARCH
- CEHD UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
- CSOM ADVISING STAFF
- CDES ADVISING STAFF
- CFANS UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH
- CSE STUDENT RESEARCH
For more information on the University policy, visit Directed Study, Directed Readings, and Directed Research Courses.