Accountant Resources

With the changes in how UROP and URS are paid only the expense money will run through departmental accounting.

Award Set Up

Financial management of UROP expense awards is accomplished in the EFS using a chartstring that includes:

  • Fund 1000
  • DeptID: appropriate for the faculty mentor for the project
  • Program 20083
  • FinEmplID: the student awardee's ID number

A combo edit for Program 20083 requires a Fin EmplID value in the chartstring for every transaction. The standard process for adding a Fin EmplID for a student to the EFS is for the department managing the funds to submit a separate BPEL COA value request for each student. However, for UROP awards, the UROP Office will request the setup of the BPELs directly to Accounting Services. Departments should not submit these requests.

Expense Reimbursements to Departments

The UROP Office will transfer expense money for awards at the end of the fiscal year in which the award takes place.  This money will be transferred to one departmental account based on the department's Dept ID and one Empl ID number and can then be split among awards at the departmental level. This is the same system that has been in place for expense awards.

Departments need to request the funds by July 31 each year.  The transfers will be made in July/August depending on when the requests are received.  If a student award runs over the fiscal year, we will transfer the portion that applies to the current year in July and the remaining portion the following year.

Any overspending on a student’s account will be the responsibility of the department.